What Is the Difference Between Commercial and Personal Auto Insurance?
As a business owner, you need to have the right auto insurance coverage to protect your business’ vehicles and any employees involved in an accident with your business autos.
- Commercial auto insurance – you’ll need this coverage if you’re using a vehicle for business reasons. Typically, all of your business employees with a valid license would be covered under this policy as additional insureds. Commercial auto insurance usually offers more comprehensive coverages, like higher limits and liability coverage.
- Personal auto insurance – when you’re driving your car for personal reasons, including commuting to and from work, you’ll need this type of auto insurance coverage. In most cases, only you and your immediate family members are covered under personal auto insurance policies. The coverage limits also tend to be lower.
If you’re still unsure whether commercial auto insurance is right for your business, we can help. Speak with one of our representatives at 855-860-9763
for more detailed information.
How Much Does Commercial Auto Insurance Cost?
The amount of premium you’ll pay for a commercial car insurance policy is heavily dependent on your industry and the types of vehicles your business operates. Typically, contractor-based businesses such as landscapers, electricians, carpenters and some construction jobs will have a higher monthly fee than other professions. Several factors can influence the cost of your auto insurance coverage, like the:
- Type of business you have
- Type of vehicle your employee drives
- Driving record of your employees’
- Type of load the company vehicle is carrying
- Location of your company
- Amount of liability coverage you choose
Choose The Hartford for Commercial Car Insurance
Unique, Customized Coverages
All business owners face unique risks. We can work to customize policies to help meet the specific needs of your business. If you have damaged business autos due to a covered loss, our various commercial auto coverages can protect your business in many ways. Our downtime loss coverage can help cover your business' lost income. Our rental reimbursement coverage can help cover the costs to rent a car and our towing coverage can help cover towing expenses if your car is inoperable.
Superior Commercial Auto Insurance Claims
Our experienced claims specialists are ready to help expedite a claim anywhere in the U.S. They’re dedicated to getting you back on the road – and back to business – as fast as possible.
Get Extra Business Auto Protection at No Additional Cost
Our commercial auto insurance offers extra protection for your business at no additional cost. This includes:
- Coverage for electronic devices
- Gap coverage for leased and loaned vehicles**
- An additional 10% actual cost value, up to $2,500, for total loss vehicles replaced with a hybrid, electric or natural gas vehicle
More Resources for Commercial Auto Insurance
The Hartford has partnered with Via Transportation, Inc. as it expands from the U.S. into Canada, offering commercial auto ride-sharing coverage to protect its drivers and passengers. For more information about the coverage, read the policy
** Gap coverage for lease and loaned vehicles not available in all states.